How to make Mashed Pumpkin
By reading this article you will learn step by step how to make delicious mashed pumpkin or Poteca de auyama, which is a pleasant dish that will make you want more.
Poteca de auyama is a dish made of pumpkin puree with Criolla sauce or traditional hogao sauce, made of onions, garlic, tomatoes, and cumin. This is a very traditional dish in the department of Tolima, Colombia. There is no doubt that we must cook this dish at home and taste such delicious food.
This recipe uses in cooking many dishes, mainly for holidays, Christmas or Thanksgiving.
Is the mashed pumpkin a vegetarian recipe?
In the usual preparation process, only needs auyama, onions, garlic, tomatoes, and other ingredients. If you want to cook this dish as a vegetarian dish, do not add protein. It’s all depending on your choice.
Some people like to experiment with various preparations in the kitchen. This recipe is no exception because we can cook a chicken breast, shred it, and then combine it with auyama puree at the end of preparation; Then mix it with Hogao to get a delicious preparation full of flavor.
You can choose your own way to do it, Article will be explaining the recipe and some ideas, but in the end, you are the one who will cook, so it is the one who decides how to prepare it. So I hope you can put all your inspiration in the kitchen and encourage you to make this delicious pumpkin puree. So let’s have a look at the recipe.
- 2 medium – sized pumpkins.
- ½ Cup chicken (meat or vegetable broth)
- ¼ cup of milk
- 1 onion
- 2 scallions
- 2 tomatoes
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Salt black pepper”
- Peel the pumpkin and remove seeds. cut the pumpkin into pieces.
- Put the pumpkin slices in a pot, add water and a little salt, and cook at medium high temperature until soft.
- When the pumpkin is cooked, prepare hogao or criolla sauce. To do this, fry the chopped onion with chopped garlic in a pan with a little oil. Once it is transparent, add chopped tomatoes or ground tomatoes and cook for another ten minutes. Put it aside.
- When Auyama softens, remove it from the water, drain it, and mash it with a crushing fork until it forms a puree. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix butter, vegetable stock, milk and Hogao with pumpkin puree, cook for 5 minutes and stir often.
It’s best served hot.
We would like to hear about your problems, questions, and Suggestions. So feel free to contact us.